Lt. Colonel retired, Dr. Sandra B. Jones, RN, Ph.D. is the inventor of Health-Ettes™ magnetic puzzles. She has more than thirty years of professional experience in the U.S. Army and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention retired, in the field of public health education and disease prevention. Dr. Jones has training in plain language.
"I recognized the need to improve public health education products for children and adults in a language they could understand and empower them to take charge of their wellness. Health-Ettes puzzles does that and more!" says, Lt. Col. retired Dr. Jones.
Statistics- National Patient Foundation
The health of 90 million people in the U.S. may be at risk because of the difficulty some patients experience in understanding and acting upon health information.1
- Literacy skills are a stronger predictor of an individual’s health status than age, income, employment status, education level, or racial/ethnic group.
- One out of five American adults reads at the 5th grade level or below, and the average American reads at the 8th to 9th grade level, yet most health care materials are written above the 10th grade level.
- Limited health literacy increases the disparity in health care access among exceptionally vulnerable populations (such as racial/ethnic minorities and the elderly).
- According to the Center for Health Care Strategies, a disproportionate number of minorities and immigrants are estimated to have literacy problems: 50% of Hispanics • 40% of Blacks • 33% of Asians
- More than 66% of US adults age 60 and over have either inadequate or marginal literacy skills.
Click Here to watch the video below to hear a recent podcast with Dr. Sandra B. Jones as she discusses her entrepreneurial journey.
Children with Chronic Illness from Multicultural Families: Challenges and Solutions for Successful Medical Management via Health Literacy, 2012
Received Best Website Award
Health-ettes, Inc -Receive Best Website award-National Health Wellness and Prevention Congress.
The National Health, Wellness and Prevention Congress awards are designed to recognize those companies, non-profits, organizations, foundations, government agencies and academic entities for their excellence and advancement in programs, services and products that educate the consumer on health, wellness and prevention, as well as influence a healthier mind, body and lifestyle.